Money Metals Exchange Scholarship Program
Announcing the First Gold-Backed Scholarship of the Modern Era
Money Metals Exchange, a national precious metals dealer recently ranked “Best in the USA,” has teamed up with the Sound Money Defense League to help qualified students pay for the ever-rising costs of tuition, fees, books, and supplies.
These groups have just introduced the first gold-backed scholarship of the modern era, setting aside 100 oz of physical gold for scholarships to outstanding undergraduate and graduate students who display deep understanding of economics and monetary policy.
2020 Eligibility Requirements
Money Metals Exchange and the Sound Money Defense League will be awarding this scholarship to two incoming or current undergraduate students and two graduate students each year.
Judged Scholarship Award:
- Undergraduate Student First Place: $2,000
- Undergraduate Student Runner Up: $1,000
- Graduate Student First Place: $2,000
- Graduate Student Runner Up: $1,000
People's Choice Award:
- First Place: $500
Application Deadline: Application, resume, and essay must be submitted by September 30, 2020.
How to Apply
To apply for this scholarship, students should fill out the application form below, provide proof of current attendance at a high school, college, or university (by submitting, for example, a transcript) and upload their current resume and their essay. Essays should be roughly 1,000 words in length and should answer ONE of the following questions:
- How has the Federal Reserve System helped or hurt the American economy?
- Most economists, even those who support private property and free markets, think that money (or monetary services, or money and banking, etc.) is a special good that must be produced and controlled by the government. Do you agree or disagree, and why?
- How do you think the free market would handle money, if there were no government intervention of any kind?
- How could America best return to a gold or bi-metallic (gold and silver) standard?
This scholarship will be open to high school seniors, undergraduate students, and graduate students with an interest in economics, specifically the tradition of the Austrian school. You DO NOT have to be an economics major to be eligible to receive this scholarship.
Essays will be reviewed by a blue ribbon committee of professors, economists, and executives of Money Metals Exchange and Sound Money Defense League. The panel will select two (2) undergraduate winners and two (2) graduate winners. All four (4) articles will be published on one or both organizations' websites. The four (4) winners will have the opportunity to win the People's Choice Award by sharing their published article on social media (Facebook, Twitter). The winner will be chosen based on which article gets the most "shares" or "retweets" within fourteen (14) days of the announcement of the winners.
Professor, Frostburg State University
Records-Johnston professor of free enterprise, Spears School of Business, Oklahoma State University
National Communications Director, Tenth Amendment Center
President Emeritus, Foundation for Economic Education
The deadline to submit the application, resume, and essay is September 30, 2020.
For more information, please email scholarship [at] moneymetals.com
Apply Today for the Scholarship